Boards of education co-govern school districts with the provincial government. B.C.’s Ministry of Education sets the curriculum, funding and legal framework for K-12 education. Trustees on a board of education work together to govern the school district and set direction on behalf of the community.
The School Act outlines the role of trustees and boards of education, including:
• Attending board meetings
• Setting school district policy
• Employing school district staff
• Managing school district budgets
• Hearing appeals where a staff decision affects the education, health or safety of a student
What is a School Trustee? << Click here to read how former BCSTA executive director Dr. Lee Southern explains the important roles of a trustee.
Trustees are community leaders. Trustees work with their board and community partners to ensure that all the students within the board’s jurisdiction have equal opportunities to reach their maximum potential. While members of the board act as representatives of their constituency,
their primary job is to participate in policy making and strategic planning in the interests of the district’s students. Trustees are grounded in promoting student achievement and well-being. Successful trustees manage to balance their governance role with the representative role, participating in decision-making that benefits the whole board while representing the interests of their constituents.
- Nomination by eligible electors
- 18 or older on Government issued documentation
- Canadian Citizen
- BC Resident 6 months+
- Not disqualified from running under law
School Trustee Candidates Resources:
FVRD: Candidate Nomination Packages for the upcoming School District 75 election will be available for pick up starting Tuesday, August 9 from the following:
- Hope Recreation Centre (1005 6 Avenue, Hope, BC)
- FVRD Chilliwack office (45950 Cheam Avenue, Chilliwack, BC)
- Online at www.fvrd.ca/elections
Paper advertising will be taking place in local newspapers in August to notify the public that nomination packages must be received by the FVRD's Chief Election Officer between 9am on August 30 and 4pm on September 9, 2022. I cannot accept candidate nomination packages before that time period.