Early Years Development Instruction (EDI)
Early Years Development Index (EDI) provides data to improve our understanding of children's development as they start school. This year Mission Kindergarten teachers will be participating in the EDI survey. EDI information is used by school districts and community partners to plan for programs, supports, resources, and staffing. Parents of Kindergarten children, Please see the EDI Parent & Caregiver Newsletter here.
You can access the previous EDI report here.
Mission Public Schools is proud to offer a variety of Early Learning opportunities such as StrongStart and other preschool programs.
Links to the individual information pages have been integrated into the headings below. Ready, Set, Learn
Ready, Set, Learn venues are held at all of our elementary schools and we, as educators and community members, have worked collaboratively to share ideas and strategies on how best to support young children in becoming lovers of language and books. It truly has been a "grass roots" project, borne from the idea that we truly can make a difference when we work together as a community to "raise readers" in Mission.
The provincial information on “Ready, Set, Learn”, and "Early Learning Framework" can be found by clicking the links.
Downloadable PDF to learn about BC's Early Learning Framework: early_learning_framework.pdf
- A place where…families are valued and recognized as their child's very first and most important teacher
- A place that…models and supports family literacy
- A place to…meet other children and their families
- A place which… reflects the language and cultures of the community
- A place where…information on parenting concerns, child development, school facilities, and local community resources are readily available
- A place where…learning is fun. Parents and caregivers play alongside their child, therefore encouraging early learning
- A place where…children can develop emotionally, socially, physically, cognitively
- A place where...children learn through play
StrongStart is designed for preschool aged children and their parent/caregiver; however children from birth to six years of age are very welcome. We encourage the whole family to join us.
StrongStart is available at many of our local schools and outreach sites.
For free, confidential support, contact Mission Early Years Navigator, Brianne Huish, 604-219-3311
Please check the Mission Early Years and StrongStart SD75 Facebook page to find out if a site is full before you venture out: https://www.facebook.com/MissionEarlyYearsSD75.